This is perhaps one of the least attractive vegetables for many people. As it is usually the case with cooking, all it takes is a little creativity to give everyday ingredients a twist and create something different. So, if you are out of ideas when cooking eggplant, here is a simple and delicious recipe that can be a real lifesaver!
The procedure is very quick! Start by roasting the tomatoes and scallion in the oven, then the sliced eggplants, or you can also cook them on the grill or hot skillet until tender and brown. Then just add the cheese and bake for a few more minutes, add the tomatoes and some basil, or any other fresh herb, and drizzle with olive oil. The result is amazing!
Another option is adding some prosciutto and Baked tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, and herbs on top of the mozzarella.
If you want more eggplant recipes, you can check out my Eggplant Parmesan recipe.
If you try out this Eggplant with tomato and mozzarella cheese, please do not forget to rate it and leave a comment! I love reading and replying to all your comments! You can also tag your pics to @elinasaiach on Instagram!
Eggplant with Tomato and Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 scallion (or small onion)
- 4 o 5 tomatoes (depending on their size) cut in half
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large eggplants
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil (oregano or any other herb)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F. Brush the tomatoes and scallion with olive oil and place them face down on a nonstick baking sheet (or lined with parchment paper). Roast until tender. Once they have cooled down, chop them up, place them in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to 180°C/350°F. slice the eggplants lengthwise into 3 or 4 strips, depending on their size, and brush them with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and bake until tender and brown.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese and place it on top of the eggplants. Pop back into the oven for 2-3 more minutes or until the cheese is melted. Take them out and top them with the tomatoes, some fresh basil and drizzle with olive oil.