This is my husband’s favorite cake, so it is very special for us! It has lots of strawberries and whipped cream, super simple, but super tasty!!
To this base recipe you can add anything you want, like dulce de leche or meringue. I think this is quite a festive cake, so I particularly enjoy making it for birthdays and celebrations.
Contrary to what people may think, sponge cake is a very easy cake to make. Just beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. It is ESSENTIAL to sift the flour and swiftly fold it into the mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon to prevent it from flattening. Then pour it into the pan and pop it into the oven!
If you have two identical pans to divide the batter into, even better: the cakes will bake faster, more evenly, and you will not need to slice a large cake in half to fill it later!!
Additionally, if you want the cake to be even more moist, you can also brush each half with syrup before filling it with whipped cream and strawberries.
If you try out this Sponge Cake with Strawberries and Cream, please do not forget to rate it and leave a comment! I love reading and replying to all your comments! You can also tag your pics to @elinasaiach on Instagram!
Sponge Cake with Strawberries and Cream
For the cake:
- 6 eggs
- 180 gr white sugar
- Vanilla extract
- 180 gr cake flour, sifted
For the filling:
- Whipped cream
- Fresh strawberries
- For the cake: Preheat oven at 180ºC / 350ºF. Grease and flour a 22-24cm (9-10inch) springfor pan. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Fold the sifted flour into the mixture with a spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes. Turn it onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- To assemble the cake: cut the cake in half lengthwise and brush each half with syrup to make it even more moist. Spread whipped cream over one half, top with strawberries, place the other half on top, cover with the rest of the cream and finish with more strawberries.
– You can divide the batter into 2 identical pans and bake them for 15 minutes.
– The eggs must be at room temperature.
– So that the cake turns out of the pan more easily, line the pan with greased parchment paper.