Before the end of the year, I would like to share this recipe I love so much, which is perfect for special occasions. I think it is so festive!
I would like to thank you for supporting me during these first months, for all the messages and good vibes! I will keep on posting new recipes next year, and I wish you all a Happy 2021!
If you try out this Merengue Roulade with Lemon Curd and Red Fruits, please do not forget to rate it and leave a comment! I love reading and replying to all your comments! You can also tag your pics to @elinasaiach on Instagram!
Merengue Roulade with Lemon Curd and Red Fruits
For the merengue:
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 250 grs white sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 grs chopped pistachios or almonds
For the Lemon Curd:
- 4 egg yolks
- 80 grs lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 150 grs white sugar
- 75 grs unsalted butter
- 300 ml whipped cream
- Powdered sugar for decoration
- 1 1/2 cups red fruits (I used raspberries and strawberries)
- Preheat oven at 160°C/320°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 20x30cm (8×12 inch) baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the merengue: Whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff and glossy. Stir in vinegar, cornstarch and vanilla with a wooden spoon. Pour into the prepared baking sheet and spread it evenly. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through and the top is crispy. Let cool and turn it out up-side down onto a sheet of parchment paper dusted with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off the top paper.
- For the Lemon Curd: In a saucepan combine egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Cook over low heat whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. Add butter and whisk until creamy. Transfer to a bowl and chill.
- Assembling: Mix the whipped cream with the lemon curd and spread over the reserved merengue, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with the red fruits. Roll it up using the paper to help you. Chill for at least an hour. Optional: Right before serving, cover it with whipped cream, sprinkle with pistachios, decorate with red fruits and dust with powdered sugar.