Vegetables on Monday! Even if pies are always a life saver, sometimes we tend to resort to the same fillings way too often. Besides being vegetarian, this option is both light and super tasty! I sliced up the zucchini with a mandolin, but you can cut them whichever way you want. The thinner they are, the better they will cook.
If you try out this Zucchini and Caramelized Onions Pie, please do not forget to rate it and leave a comment! I love reading and replying to all your comments! You can also tag your pics to @elinasaiach on Instagram!
Zucchini and Caramelized Onion Pie
For the crust:
- 200 grs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 grs cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3-4 tbsp ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (or any other)
- 3 large onions , thinly sliced
- 2-3 Zucchini, , thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the crust: Mix flour and salt. Rub in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Add 3 – 4 tbsp ice cold water to form the dough. Do not knead. Shape into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat up a large skillet over medium-low fire with 2 tbsp olive oil. Add onions and a generous pinch of salt. Let them cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Roll out the dough and fit it into a greased pie dish. Cover the bottom with the grated cheese, then the onions, and the zucchini on top. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in a preheated the oven at 180°C/350°F for 25-30 minutes, or until the zucchini are tender.