I love this salad; it is so typical of this time of the year. You can serve it on its own, but it goes best as a side for red meat or pies.
What makes it unique is the combination of pears with blue cheese!
It does not take much time to prepare, and it is always an absolute hit!
To caramelize the pears, cut them into wedges, melt butter in a saucepan or grill. Brown the wedges on both sides without moving them for the first 1 or 2 minutes, then sprinkle with sugar and cook until caramelized.
I usually make the pears and vinaigrette ahead and just assemble the salad before serving, which only takes a couple of minutes!
This salad is one of my household favorites, so we usually double the recipe!!
If you try out this Caramelized Pears, Arugula and Blue Cheese Salad, please do not forget to rate it and leave a comment! I love reading and replying to all your comments! You can also tag your pics to @elinasaiach on Instagram!
Caramelized Pears, Arugula and Blue Cheese Salad
For the salad:
- 400 grs arugula
- 4 firm pears, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 cup roasted walnuts (or almonds)
- 150 grs blue cheese
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- For the vinaigrette: combine all the ingredients and reserve.
- For the pears: heat a frying pan with the butter, add the pear wedges and brown on both sides. Sprinkle with sugar and cook for a few more minutes until they caramelized.
- Assembling: cover the bottom of a serving plate with the arugula, the caramelized pears on top, then cubes of blue cheese, and finally the walnuts. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.